SDC ANNOUNCEMENT 09.09.2022
You will have probably already received the sad news of the death of Her Majesty the Queen. Her death means that there will now be a period of national mourning. As you will expect the Council has in place protocols for such an event, for your information during the period of mourning the Council will be taking the following actions:
- All flags will be flown at half-mast this evening;
- We will be opening a book of condolence at Elizabeth House from tomorrow. The Council’s website will include a link to the national book of condolence and the Home page will have a black background;
- Any civic events or public meetings are discouraged during the period of mourning. This will therefore impact upon the meeting of the Planning Committee and Overview & Scrutiny Committee scheduled for next week, these meetings will need to be re-arranged. SDC Councillors attending any necessary meetings will be provided with Black Arm Bands to wear whilst representing the Council in that meeting, these are available from Elizabeth House. Members may also choose to wear a black tie if wished.
- Floral tributes – Those wishing the lay flowers are directed to do so in the Bancroft Gardens around the Swan Fountain. Flowers will be left until the day before the funeral when they will be moved to the Garden of Remembrance, College Street, Old Town.
- Social Media – all managed routine / previously planned social media is to be paused. An announcement of Demise social media post will be published on the SDC corporate accounts.